Thursday, July 12, 2007

Marriage...it is an intense journey that has its moments.



Marriage is defined in the webster dictionary as:


the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law or an intimate or close unioin.


I do not dispute that as true, however, I do believe that it is so much more than that.


As a Christian I believe marriage is a convenat two people made before God to cherish and love one another through good and bad, up and down, and rich and poor. I mean these are the vows most people take when getting married.


At this point in life, I myself recently got married, I know several that are about to or just got married, then I also know several who desire to get married.


With all that said...in our culture today marriage is disposable. I am not by any means stating that everyone feels that way, and I am aware that there are times in a marriage where things happen and they do not work out; I could give you plenty of examples. There are times in marriage that it is not healthy for one or both of the persons in the union; again I could give you examples. I am not talking about those cases. I am talking about the cases where people just think it would be fun to have a wedding, and those that think marriage is just a contract!


It is too easy for people to get together today, decide they want to get married thinking that if it doesn't work out (if it is not fun or what they think is going to be a continuous party with tons of sex) that it is not a big deal because I mean there are a tons of lawyers who specialize in divorce and we can just take our stuff back and go our separte ways with nothing lost. (Thinking at least we tried). However, it cost more than people realize...if jon and I tried to end it; it would hurt our family, our friends, I mean we have invested in each other, we have bonded with one anothers family. It just cost more to end it... not just financially, but emotionally!


Marriage is not the bed of roses so many make it out to be. Alright so yes I have only been married for about five months now, but I can say there are plenty of times when it would be much easier to walk out than to deal with a problem. When you are in a bad mood, and just don't want to deal with it, or the other person let you down, hurt you, or did something that breaks your heart, but that is not why I married Jonathan. I married Jonathan because he is the man God created for me, and I love him with all of my heart. I did not marry him becasue I wanted it to be easy, I married him because I could not imagine spending a day without him, and because good or bad I want to experience it all with him. We encourage each other and help to pull the other through the hard times.


Now...onto the myth that marriage is a bunch of roses! HA! I wish cause I like roses. LOL


I knew from others that it is not always easy, glamours, or fun, but nothing perpared me for the fact that there are times when I want to ring MR.WHITTEN's loveable little neck!
The little things that you don't think about until you move in with a person will drive you mad. I did not know until marriage that JONATHAN LOVES to sleep in the MIDDLE of the bed. He like to swing his darling little leg over me at 3 in the morning when you have to pee! Alright one of our huge fights right after we got married was over a throw that goes on the couch. Now we are in the process of trying to make our home a home, and no longer a bachelor pad. So I got these great little throws with matching pillows. Now I know Jonathan's moma taught him how to fold a blanket, but the boy would not do it. Nothing made me more angry than to come downstairs and see the blanket sitting there unfolded! So after about a week and a half of asking him to fold when he is finsihed with we had to have a heart to heart. LOL Or how Jonthan thinks in order to watch TV he must move the recliner from it place amongst the living room funiture to the area directly in front of the television, blocking the view of all others in the room so he can concentrate! I will contrate him....it baffles me why he thinks that is ok. However, I must admit it is cute to see him sit there all budled up (because he thinks I keep the house to cold) intently watching some silly science fiction show or dirty jobs, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND IT!


Marriagae is about compromise, I have learned to compromise when it comes to Jon and the TV, video games, work, his bubble baths, and a whole list of other things. There is a lot of having to meet in the middle. I thought if I argued my point long enough that he would cave, but the truth is usually we are both a bit right and wrong so there has to be a deal made! I have done a lot of growing in the past five months, and I think Jon would agree also. We can't change each other, though you can try, but that usually means more furstration, but it is not about changing each other, it is about growing as one, learning to love that person flaws and all, and with the love and care that you put into each day of being together learning how to make it work. If you could change people we would all have picked up mr.joe from down the street take him home, trained him for a little while, then turned him into prince charming and live happliy ever after, but because the person is different it adds a little spice to life. Marriage has to be about the other person, because as soon as one starts to put yourself first you start to realize (or think you realize) how that other is negelecting you (which usually means you are too concerned with yourself to see that maybe you should be the one giving a little).


So to sum up what I think marriage is: marriage is the union of a man and woman before God with a conveant commiting to growing together, loving each other through the good and bad, loving beyond the ugliness that comes out sometimes, compromising, selfless act of loving someone so much that you can not imagine life without them. No matter how bad things get you do not want to wake up with out that messed up hair and smelly breath big teddy bear that you call your husband! Marriage is a journey from a beginning to an happy ending with storms, road blocks, rainbows, tears, laughter, and love! I can honestly say there is not other place I would rather be, but with mr.whitten! I mean we are just a guy and a girl on a journey from beginning to happy ending!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

WOW! TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL!
I AM SO GLAD YOU GOT A BLOG. I LOVE THE PICTURE OF YOU AND JON IN TENNESSEE--WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COPY OF IT!

lOVE YA!
NIC