Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Epiphany....

Alright, so I was driving to work this morning listening to a CD that I had made last night from my ITUNES. Well, the song "Battle Hymn of Love" by Kathy Mattea came on. Now that song was the song that Daddy and Regina had at their wedding so I already knew the song, but this morning it brought to light a entirely new meaning for me. Here are they lyrics:
I will pledge my heart to the love we share Through the good and the bad times too I'll forsake my rest For your happiness 'Til my death I will stand by you With God as my witness This vow I will make To have and to hold you No other to take For rich or for poor Under skies grey or blue 'Til my death I will stand by you
There are wars and there are rumors Of wars yet to come Temptations we'll have to walk through Though others may tremble I will not run 'Til my death I will stand by you I will put on the armor of faithfulness To fight for a heart that is true 'Til the battle is won,I will not rest 'Til my death I will stand by you With God as my witness This vow I will make To have and to hold you No other to take For rich or for poor Under skies grey or blue 'Til my death I will stand by you 'Til the battle is won I will not run 'Til my death I will stand by you
So...the whole new meaning thing. I was listening, actually listening to the words. I was like WOW! You know there was that song that says LOVE IS A BATTLEFIELD...well it shouldn't be. Yes, couple/husbands and wives will and do certainly fight, but it should not be a battlefield between on another. There are to many things, problems, temptations that come against you as a couple to have a battlefield in your own home. What this song reveled to me this morning was that we...in the union of marry should become one as a "army" to fight against the things that the world and the devil will bring against us in marriage, not fight against one another. I mean I have heard this often in our marriage class..., but this morning it hit me. When you get married you do become one, you don't have to fight by yourself any longer, you have a partner...you can go "into battle together". So I felt like this song this morning was really declaring that to each other that we are committed to fight against all the "bad things" that are going to come, but we took a vow that until our death we will stand by one another.
So, I guess what I am really saying is that I am glad to be in Jon's army. I love him so much and no matter what I will fight beside him, with him, and even for him when he can't fight for himself because sometimes in life we just get weary.
"Battle Hymn of Love" has always been a pretty song to me, but now it is a song that moves me and reminds me of the union and responsibilities as a couple to always stand together and keep our love strong! Til my death I will stand by him!

No comments: